|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
|= Project Presentation Meetings (PPM) and Imagers Interest Group surgeries (IIGs) =
The meetings are every Monday, 12.30-2.30pm, Lecture Theatre, MRC CBU
Chair: Johan Carlin (Becky Gilbert for web-based studies)
Deputy Chair: Olaf Hauk and Marta Correia
Organiser: Matthew Sharrock email@example.com
To present your imaging project proposal, and (compulsory for internal projects) you must send the title and the list of researchers involved by '''Thursday noon''' at the latest to firstname.lastname@example.org and [[mailto:email@example.com|Johan.firstname.lastname@example.org]]
We also organise talks by external speakers at the IIG. Those Mondays will not be available for project presentations, unless there are compelling reasons. Please ask early for available IIG slots by contacting email@example.com and [[mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org|Johan.Carlin@mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk]] .
This meeting now runs for up to 2 hours (always starting at 12.30), and may consist of project proposals/project feedbacks, with the remaining time given to methods questions from the audience, or scheduled methods presentations.
See the IigSchedule (now called the PPM schedule) for the list of past and future meetings. The PPM page is also linked to the [[http://imaging.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/imaging/ImagingManagementCommittee|Imagers Management Committee]].
Once presented, your project proposal will require IMC approval. (See below)
The '''information required for an IIG project proposal''' is specified in these PPT templates:
||[[attachment:ProposalTemplate_fMRI.ppt|fMRI]] ||[[attachment:ProposalTemplate_MEG.ppt]] ||[[attachment:ProposalTemplate_MEG+fMRI.ppt|EMEG+fMRI]] ||[[attachment:ProposalTemplate_DTI.ppt|DTI]] ||
== Important notes about project presentations ==
An overview of the procedures for undertaking an imaging projects '''__[[http://intranet.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/So-you-want-to-do-an-Imaging-project.doc|here]]__'''
'''Project proposals at the IIG serve to'''
1) allow the [[http://imaging.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/imaging/ImagingManagementCommittee|IMC]] to '''evaluate the suitability and priority of a project''' within the research programmes at the CBU, and make sure the projects follow guidelines of '''good research practice'''.
2) open a project for '''general discussion''', clarify outstanding scientific issues, allow '''feedback''' for further improvement of the project.
* It is required that projects have been discussed in '''previous group meetings'''. A brief summary of how the feedback from those group meetings has been addressed should be included in the IIG presentation.
* The '''decision''' about a project (whether or how it should go ahead, and with which priority) will be made at the IMC. An PPM presentation does not guarantee approval of a project, even if no controversial issues were raised at the PPM.
* The PPM focuses on '''methodological issues''': Are the proposed data/design/analysis sufficient to test the scientific hypothesis? Because the theoretical background should have been discussed in previous group meetings, IIG presentations should put more emphasis on methodological aspects of the study ("as much theory as necessary, as much methods as possible"). The PPT templates above specify the information required for a project proposal. The presentation should take about 10 minutes, with an extra 10 minutes for discussion.
* Discussions at the IIG should be '''constructive and supportive''', and encourage a wider audience to participate.
* Attendance at IIG is expected for the '''scientist whose grant, fellowship, or QQ programme covers the cost of scanning'''. This applies even when the project is being presented at IIG by another researcher (e.g., a post-doc or student).
* '''IMC members''' should be present at the IIG.
* '''Lead researchers''' of a project should be "on call" during the IMC meeting, in case clarifications about the project are needed.
* If a '''non-CBU member''' is presenting a CBU study then it is essential that the CBU sponsor is present at the meeting.
* The IMC can be notified of '''general concerns''' about a project proposal by e-mailing to email@example.com before an IMC meeting.
* People wishing to '''book IIG slots''' for project proposals should email <<MailTo(mri DOT admin AT SPAMFREE mrc-cbu DOT cam DOT ac DOT uk)>> (CC to <<MailTo(Olaf DOT Hauk AT SPAMFREE mrc-cbu DOT cam DOT ac DOT uk)>>) with 1) a title, 2) authors, and 3) a suggested date, having inspected the IigSchedule. The requests to present should be received by '''Midday''' on the Thursday before (IIG meetings happen every Monday).
* '''After your IIG meeting''', you will need to have it approved by the ImagingManagementCommittee (IMC) who meet monthly on a Wednesday. Please remember that you need to complete the form (http://intranet.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/imaging/) and email it to MRI Admin by '''noon on the Tuesday before the IMC''' at which you would like your project to be considered.