General documentation on using the training laptops can be found on the intranet.
Here, some more specific instructions about how to set up them for a hands-on session can be found:
XX – laptop number
- Switch on the laptop and log in as:
- Username: trainXXuser
- Use PuTTY to connect to one of the login nodes. You can use 'login' as the host name, or use the name of a specific login node (login01 to login22):
Host: On some of the laptops, gateway (gate.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk) may be set as default connection. Make sure, that you do not use it, because it is slower!
- Username: trainXXlinux
- A VNC server should already be running for the training account. To check, type:
- The output should show you that a vncserver is running on the login node that matches the number of username, e.g. train01linux will have a vncserver on login01, etc. The vnc desktop number should be 51 in all cases. If a vnc server is not already running, you can start one using:
- Once your VNC server is running, connect to it using a VNC viewer (e.g. TurboVNC is preferred but UltraVNC will do, too). The server you need to connect to will be running on the login node that matches the number in your username, e.g. train01linux will have a vncserver on login01, etc. The vnc desktop number should be 51 in all cases.
- VNC server: loginXX:51 (e.g. login01:51 for train01 on login01, login08:51 for train08 on login08)
- Password: ******** (available from your trainer, Tibor, Olaf or IT)
/imaging/local/linux/config/train.login (executed during login via PuTTY)
/imaging/local/linux/config/train.chsrc (executed during opening a shell)
serve as central setting for all training account. If you want to add some settings (e.g. configuration for programs), you can do it here.
Command-line shortcuts (aliases)
set in /imaging/local/linux/config/train.chsrc
cdw: change directory for Workshop folder of the current user (/imaging/trainXXlinux/Workshop)
matlab: Launch Matlab R2012b (required for aa)
vncstart: Open the designated VNC server with the optimal resolution (N.B. vncserver is shadowed by an alias with the same name pointing to showallvncs to avoid "unwanted" VNC sessions. Would you even need to use vncserver, you can call it with its full path: /hpc-software/bin/vncserver)
vnckill: Close the designated VNC server
set in /imaging/local/linux/config/train.login
The Material folder (/imaging/trainXXlinux/Workshop/Material) is synchronized automatically with any folder of your choosing (I recommend using folder name Material to be consistent). The SOURCE folder can be set in /imaging/local/linux/config/train.login (line 1).
You can synchronise your material from any VNC session (i.e. you don't need the physical laptop).
ssh trainXXlinux@loginXX will start the synchronisation (if enabled in train.login, see above).